How Many Kittens Can A Cat Have At One Time?
There are several terms to call a cat. A male cat is called tom or tom cat while the female cat is called queen. Parent or mother cat is referred to as dam. But no matter what they are called we still and would remain calling them our cat. I personally can still remember how my grandmother’s cat protects her kittens and that this cat will block us always or seems like trying to scare us whenever we try to get close to her kittens even if she is familiar with us and we are the ones feeding them.
Another creature to be born (may it be a human or an animal) will always be a wonderful and amazing that can happen. Are mother cat’s protective like humans? We’ll learn more about the Queen cat and how many kittens can a cat have in her womb as we go along.
How Many Kittens Can A Cat Have At One Time?
How many kittens can a cat have? Most cats can give birth from 3-5 kittens in one time. Though the fact is, a queen can carry between one to 10 kittens in her womb at the same time depending on her shape, condition, breed and size. Based on studies, an indoor cat can have five or more kittens while they are young but as they age, the number of kittens that they can carry will also be reduced. Did you know that a queen cat can produce multiple eggs in one heat cycle?
Also, the kittens in a cat’s litter can have different fathers. As cat parents, if we do not pay attention to what our queen cats are doing and if we let them out a lot, you should start doing research and ask yourself how soon can a cat get pregnant after having kittens. Chances are, they can get pregnant every three months and to think that they can give birth to multiple kittens, your family will soon be populated with cats.
Let’s answer the questions. How many kittens can a cat have in one time? That’s 3-5 kittens depending on the cats’ age. How many kittens can a cat have in a year? They can have a maximum of 12 kittens in a year.
Things To Know If Your Cat Is Giving Birth For The First Time
Cat pregnancy and deliver can last from 58 days to a maximum of 70 days. That’s how fast it is. Unlike with humans, you get to have 9 months of preparation before motherhood. Be sure that you’re well prepared for your cat’s big day. Here’s a list of guides you should prepare for if your kitty is giving birth for the first time aside from being emotionally prepared knowing how many kittens can a cat have and how soon can a cat get pregnant after having kittens 🙂
- You must know how to help your cat during delivery. Most cats do not need any help when giving birth but it’s important that you are near. Prepare a box or anything that you feel your cat will be comfortable with during labor and allow her to focus on giving birth. Trust me, you’ll know if she needs your help, she’ll vocalize.
- Stop allowing your cat to go out a week before the expected birth date for her and the kitten’s safety. One of the signs you should know is that they most likely to lick their genitals during labor. You’ll notice amniotic fluid be released from the cat’s vagina if a kitten is already at the birth canal. They will also decrease appetite during labor.
- Cat labors can last from 12 up to 36 hours especially for first time delivery. How long does it take for a cat to give birth between kittens? The interval will be from 20 minutes to an hour.
- Know that your cat should eat the fetal membrane and placenta of every kitten. Also, your cat should bite the amniotic sac for the kitten’s survival. Note that there is also a risk that your cat will lose her first born kitten due to some factors such as age, obesity and health issues.
- Make sure that your cat will feed the newborn kittens in the first hour after giving birth. Once your cat is done with the delivery, give them time of peace and allow them to bond. Do not interfere with their bond yet. Prepare food and water for the queen cat too.
- Provide enough heat for the kittens and dry them up if your cat doesn’t dry her kittens immediately after delivery.
- If the queen cat is still straining and not joining her litter yet, there’s a huge chance that a placenta is left inside her or there are more kittens to come out. Keep in mind how long does it take for a cat to give birth between kittens. If unsure, consult a vet.
- Don’t take the kittens away from their mother especially during their first 12 weeks. The nutrition and warmth given by the mother is essential for the kitten to not be wormed.
How Many Kittens Can A Cat Have At One Time? Cats are born independent but would still need your presence to be able to safely deliver her kittens. Also, be prepared for the responsibilities of having kittens as an addition to the family.
Keep in mind that if you find the labor and delivery of your cat to be hard or notice that you’ll need an extra pair of hands, the best thing to do is to call a veterinarian. Knowing how many kittens can a cat have is overwhelming. Please note that if your cat still finds a way to go out after giving birth, observe the behavior as history might repeat and she can go home pregnant again after three months.
Consult a veterinarian on what the best course of action might be. You can also consider having your cat spayed to be sure that even if she would go out a lot, she won’t be pregnant.
Here’s a video on How Many Kittens Can A Cat Have At One Time?