A lot of cat parents make mistakes when choosing the best cat food for older cats that vomit. They tend to forget that such felines have a special diet.
The first thought is that cat vomiting is normal but this is not always the case since it could indicate something serious.
Older cats are known to have a very sensitive stomach when compared to other young cats. Their stomach tends to react to several cat foods and that is why you need to be careful about their diet.
With that out of the way, let us dive into the main topic. We have compiled some of the best wet cat food for older cats that vomit and dry cat food for older cats that vomit in the market right now.
Be sure to go through the buyer’s guide we have spent weeks putting together before making the final decision.
What Causes Cat Vomiting?
You should note that it is not normal for cats to vomit every now and then. If you’ve got a feline that throws up often then the following are some of the reasons why:
Change in Diet
Switching the diet of cats suddenly is likely to upset their sensitive stomach and make them throw up.
Therefore, if you’re planning to change from one food brand to another do it gradually and this will reduce any chances of throwing up.
Also, feeding your furball with poor quality foods in their diet could cause digestive issues like diarrhea and vomiting.
We recommend you stay away from cat foods that contain low-quality fillers, artificial flavors, and preservatives.
Cats tend to groom themselves and in the process, they end up swallowing the fur. The fur tends to become undigested and accumulate in the stomach as hairballs.
Cats tend to vomit in order to expel the hairballs. If the hairballs reach the intestines, it could cause a blockage which could be fatal.
Cats are unable to control themselves, especially when eating their favorite foods and treats. They may end up overfeeding and this might trigger vomiting.
You should consider using an automatic feeder if the cat is left alone at home to help in regulating the amount of food.
Cats are normally picky eaters since they are highly susceptible to food allergies. This problem develops due to the reaction of certain ingredients in cat food.
Some of the common ingredients are low-quality fillers, fish, eggs, artificial flavors, and preservatives. The best thing is to withdraw that food brand in their diet.
Cats are highly prone to hookworms, tapeworms, roundworms, and whipworms. These parasites have the reputation of triggering cat vomiting.
We recommend you consult your vet about the best way on how to deworm a furball that vomits often due to parasitic infestation.
Frequent and excessive cat vomiting could be due to a serious health issue in your feline that needs immediate fixation.
According to the research, felines with diabetes, kidney failure, liver diseases, gastritis, cancer, and irritable bowel movement are prone to vomiting.
The best thing to consider is treating the underlying condition and this will ease the rate of vomiting in the cat.
Furballs have a very strong immune system such that when they eat toxic substance and their body is able to kick it out through vomiting.
Some of the most common food poison in felines are human foods, certain plants, insecticides, and other chemicals.
Consuming Non-Food Items
Although furry friends are picky eaters, they tend to be much curious with a lot of things and they end up eating even if it is not food.
Consuming indigestible items will cause cat puking. Some of the common items are houseplants, grass, toys, toilet paper, and even their own fur.
10 Best Cat Food for Older Cats That Vomit
1. Purina Pro Plan Prime Plus with Salmon
- One (1) 5.5 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan High Protein Senior Dry Cat Food, 7+ Salmon & Rice Formula
- Salmon is the #1 ingredient
- With a proprietary blend proven to both improve and extend the life of cats ages 7+
- Supports lean muscle mass and a healthy weight
- PRIME PLUS Salmon & Rice Formula has a new look and product name coming soon. May receive either bag during the transition
Prime plus seniors with salmon is an ideal food to try for older kitties that tend to experience vomiting after eating.
The food formula is packed with probiotics that help to facilitate proper digestion and novel proteins from salmon are quite suitable for food-sensitive older cats.
Besides that, the nutrients found in the food formula have been proven to improve the lifespan of an old kitty. The nutrients support the health and well-being of felines.
The most interesting thing is that the high-quality proteins in the food support muscle mass and healthy weight gain.
Older kitties tend to have a low immune system and this is the reason why they are highly prone to diseases. But feeding your feline with this food formula will help improve their immune system.
Some of the main ingredients used in the design of the food formula are salmon, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, cassava root flour, brewer’s rice, soybean meal and fish meal among others.
The grains are the reason why some furry friends tend to experience skin allergies and it is recommended to monitor your feline after eating. This is the number one best cat food for senior cats that vomit.
- Help to improve the lifespan of older cats
- Support a healthy immune system
- Support lean muscles development and healthy weight gain
- Quite affordable
- Has premium ingredients
- Some felines may continue to vomit
- Some cats hate the greasy texture of the food.
2. Purina Pro Plan Senior with Canned Salmon and Tuna
- Twenty-Four (24) 3 oz. Pull-Top Cans - Purina Pro Plan Senior Pate Wet Cat Food; FOCUS Salmon & Tuna Entree
- Made with real salmon and tuna
- Specially formulated to meet the needs of cats age 11+
- Helps support her healthy skin and coat
- Provides essential nutrients to support a healthy immune system
This cat food is quite ideal when taking care of senior cats that are experiencing vomiting after feeding on any food brand.
The cat food formula is packed with essential ingredients that are suitable for supporting the overall health immunity system of an old cat.
Besides that, it has a high-quality level of proteins and moderate fats for enhancing healthy skin and a shiny coat.
The food formula is specifically designed for cats that are 11+ years and those that suffer from vomiting issues.
The food has anti-inflammatory properties that help to soothe the inflamed digestive system and in the process reduce the risk of vomiting.
The main source of ingredients is salmon and tuna. Other ingredients include liver, meat by-product, taurine, fish, chicken, artificial and natural flavours.
However, if the feline friend is highly susceptible to allergies as a result of eating fish and artificial flavours then do not consider the formula.
- Support healthy skin coat
- Has essential nutrients to support the immune system
- Has high-quality ingredients
- Ideal for the sensitive and inflamed digestive system
- Has some salt content not suitable for older cats
- Not ideal for felines allergic to fish
3. Wellness Complete Health Natural Cat Food
- CHICKEN PATE: This healthy, natural food for adult cats is an excellent source of high quality proteins and essential fatty acids for complete, balanced nutrition
- SUPERIOR INGREDIENTS: All of our wet cat food recipes include lean meats, healthy fats, fruits and veggies with no wheat, corn or soy, and no added artificial flavors, colors, carrageenan or preservatives
- HEALTHY HYDRATION: Hydration is extremely important to a cat's overall wellbeing and since cats do not have a strong thirst drive, this recipe is an easy way to increase your cat's moisture intake for urinary tract health
- A LIFETIME OF WELLBEING: Each of our recipes is crafted to promote the signs of wellbeing: plenty of energy, a lustrous skin and coat, sound digestion and immunity, plus strong teeth and healthy eyes
- WELLNESS NUTRITION: Created by nutritionists, veterinarians and animal lovers, our recipes provide an ideal balance of nature's finest ingredients, carefully selected to nourish and sustain your pet's wellbeing
Another amazing food formula for older kitties offered by Wellness Natural Pet Food Company.
The food formula contains high-quality proteins that help to enhance muscle development and energy production without causing excessive weight gain.
One thing that makes this food stand out is the use of quality ingredients such as deboned salmon, deboned turkey, flaxseeds, cranberries and rosemary.
Cranberries are rich in vitamin C that help to fight off bacteria causing urinary health problems while rosemary has antioxidant properties ideal for the overall health of the senior cat.
Besides that, flaxseed and salmon provide omega 3 fatty acids that promote healthy skin coat as well as proper digestion.
The good news is that all the ingredients are highly digestible and this will help to limit vomiting issues in older cats. Overall this is the best cat food for cats that throw up.
- Has a well-balanced nutritional requirements
- Made from high-quality ingredients
- Lack of artificial fillers, flavors, and preservatives
- High-quality proteins for muscles and energy production
- Make some cats sick after switching to it.
- Some cats hate the taste of the food.
4. Royal Canin Aging 12+ Wet Cat Food
Older cats are prone to so many health problems not only the issue of vomiting but also kidney failure and joint problems.
Royal Canin ageing is an ideal food formula for such types of felines since it contains nutrients that can support their health and well-being.
The most interesting thing is that the food contains plenty of glucosamine and chondroitin which is ideal for fostering healthy joints in senior cats.
Besides that, it has a controlled amount of phosphorus which helps to support kidney health. Too much phosphorus in the diet of cats tends to cause kidney failure.
Also, the omega 3 fatty acids help to fight off inflammation in the stomach lining and this reduces the chances of vomiting in senior cats.
Some of the most popular ingredients are chicken liver, pork by-products, wheat gluten, brewer’s rice flour, vegetable oil, egg products, and fish oil among others.
However, food tends to cause skin allergies since it is not grain-free. If you have a feline prone to skin allergies then do not consider this food brand.
- Has omega 3 fatty acids that help maintain healthy skin coat
- Has controlled phosphorus level to support kidney health
- Has premium ingredients
- Has glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health
- Some cats do not enjoy the food formula
- Not grain-free food formula
4. Halo Natural Wet Cat Food
- ONLY WHOLE MEAT HERE – We proudly give your cat delicious whole meat - never any of that rendered "meat meal," like "chicken meal" or "fish meal"
- SUSTAINABLY SOURCED, MADE IN THE USA – As much as it is healthy, our cat food is also humane; Halo says “NO” to factory farming, uses non-GMO fruits and vegetables, and chooses to use cans that are BPA free. All Halo products are made in the USA, with quality ingredients sourced from US farms and around the world
- HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE AND NUTRITIOUS – Our healthy and holistic wet cat food is highly digestible since there are no rendered meat meals, artificial ingredients, or artificial preservatives
- DESIGNED FOR ADULT CATS – Give your pet the nourishment they need with added taurine that supports healthy eyes and heart, and is formulated to help adult cats maintain their strength and energy level
- SMOOTH AND TASTY – Only premium ingredients to see here! Our super tasty chicken, shrimp, and crab stew has a smooth texture with tender bits of colorful vegetables plus the benefit of added hydration, with an aroma and taste that cats love. Even picky eaters can’t help but dig in
If you’ve got an older cat that vomits after eating then you should consider this type of food since it is proven to be ideal.
Halo is a great brand as far as the production of high-quality feline foods is a concern. The feature has enabled them to receive lots of praise from many cat forums and Facebook groups.
The cat food contains premium ingredients such as whitefish, salmon, flaxseed, natural flavours, soy protein concentrate, dried egg product, dried sweet potatoes, and carrots among many others.
The most interesting thing is that most of these ingredients are super digestible hence older cats are able to retain and utilize all the nutrients.
Besides that, the novel proteins and grain-free features help to reduce vomiting from all food-sensitive felines.
Also, the omega fatty acids from whitefish and flaxseeds help to combat stomach irritation and inflammation that trigger the cat to puke.
Unfortunately, some felines have been reported to experience skin allergies after feeding on the food formula due to the presence of the soy ingredient. This is still a contender for the best cat food for cats that vomit.
- Quite easy and simple to digest
- Packed with high-quality ingredients
- The price is quite affordable
- Grain-free food formula
- It causes skin allergies to some felines due to soy ingredients.
- Taste and smell not ideal for some furballs.
5. Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach & Skin Cat Food
- A source of prebiotic fiber to fuel beneficial gut bacteria and support a grown cat's microbiome
- This adult cat Food is highly digestible for optimal nutrient absorption and easy stool pickup
- Helps nourish an adult cat's skin with vitamin E and omega 6 fatty acids
- Made with natural ingredients
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
This is a number one highly recommended cat food for older cats with vomiting issues due to the presence of prebiotic fibers.
The fibres help to facilitate proper digestion and also support cat grown microbiome. The vitamin E and omega 3 fatty acids help to nourish an adult cat skin.
The most wonderful thing about cat food is that it contains some antioxidants that help to boost the immune systems of older cats.
Besides that, the food formula is made using natural ingredients such as pork fat, brewer’s rice, corn gluten meal, egg product, whole grain corn, chicken liver flavour, and lactic acid among others.
One major drawback of the food formula is that they contain some ingredients that might trigger food allergies to some furry friends.
- Has prebiotic fiber for supporting digestion
- Has highly digestible nutrients
- Made from premium natural ingredients
- Highly recommended by veterinarians
- Causes stomach upsets in some felines
- Some ingredients cause skin allergies
6. Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach Dry Cat Food
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo dry cat food always features real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein from real chicken helps your cat maintain strong muscles. Plus it contains wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit.
- FOR A SENSITIVE STOMACH: Our sensitive stomach cat food is formulated with FOS prebiotics to help support your cat's digestive health and promote nutrient absorption. Plus it contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits , a precise blend of antioxidants vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- NATURAL CAT FOOD: BLUE dry cat food is formulated for the health and well-being of your cat and features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 7 lb. bag of BLUE Sensitive Stomach Natural Adult Dry Cat Food Chicken & Brown Rice
This is another cat food recipe develop for older cats with vomiting issues and it is offered by Blue Buffalo Company.
The company has a great reputation for designing high-quality food formulas for cats and this is the reason why it has received lots of praise from many cat forums as well as Facebook groups.
The food formula has real chicken meat and brown rice as the number one ingredient. The protein from the chicken meat helps the cat gain lean and strong muscles.
Besides that, prebiotics help facilitates proper digestion and promote nutrient absorption by the older cat.
Some of the main ingredients are deboned chicken, brown rice, chicken meal, oatmeal, peas, dried egg products, and chicken fat among many others.
The good news is that cat food tends to lack grains such as soy, corn, wheat and other artificial addictive that might cause food allergies.
- Contain premium ingredients like real chicken
- Suitable for sensitive stomach felines
- Support the immune system and well-being
- Help reduce shedding in cats
- Some cats are intolerant to chicken meat
- Some felines find it difficult to chew small size kibbles.
7. Purina ONE Sensitive Systems Adult Dry Cat Food
- One (1) 22 lb. Bag - Purina ONE Natural Dry Cat Food, Sensitive Skin & Stomach Formula
- Real turkey is the #1 ingredient in this digestive health cat food with 34% protein
- Easily digestible formula for cats with sensitive systems
- Omega-6 fatty acids in our dry cat food for skin and coat care help nourish sensitive skin
- Purina ONE is veterinarian recommended
The most affordable cat food formula for older kitties with vomiting issues and it is recommended for low budget cat owners.
The food formula is packed with all nutrients that are needed by older cats and it promotes well-being.
Besides that, the ingredients used to design the recipe are highly digestible and they do not cause any problem to the kitties.
Also, the high-quality proteins obtained from real turkey meat help to maintain lean muscles without causing weight gain.
The most common ingredients used in the recipe are turkey, brewer’s rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-products, soybean meal, fish meal, dried yeast, and whole-grain corn.
- Ingredients are easily digestible
- Has nutrients that nourish the skin coat
- Has high-quality proteins for lean muscles development
- Quite affordable
- Chicken ingredients cause food allergies
- Contains caramel color
8. Royal CANIN Feline Gastrointestinal Canned Cat Food
- Royal Canin Intense Beauty Thin Slices in Gravy wet cat food is tailored nutrition for cats 1 year and older
- Nourishes a beautiful, shiny coat with optimal levels of fatty acids
- Helps maintain an ideal weight with specially formulated nutrition
- Promotes optimal health and wellness with a precise balance of vitamins and minerals
- Pairs well with Royal Canin Hair & Skin Care dry cat food for a texture cats crave
If you have an older cat with a sensitive stomach then consider this brand of cat food since it is proven to be suitable.
The food formula is prepared with ingredients that are gentle to the older cat gastrointestinal tracts.
Besides that, it is load with calories that provide sufficient energy for the older kitty without causing them to gain excess weight.
Also, the omega-three fatty acids help to nourish the digestive system and promote a shiny skin coat.
Lastly, the ingredients behind the development of the food recipe are highly digestible and this will not trigger vomiting after eating.
- Has ingredients that nourish intestinal microflora of older kitties
- Omega 3 fatty acids nourish the digestive system
- Has high energy levels for senior cats
- All ingredients are quite easy to digest
- Too expensive
- Ingredients are not listed
9. Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Dry Cat Food
- Royal Canin Digestive Care dry cat food is formulated for cats 1 year and older with sensitive stomachs
- Promotes digestive health with an optimal blend of prebiotics and dietary fibers
- Proven effective with 42% less stool production after 10 days of exclusive use
- Exclusive ring-shaped kibble encourages slower eating to help support healthy digestion
- Perfect complement to Royal Canin Digest Sensitive wet cat food formulas
If you own an older kitty that loves to groom himself or herself then end up swallowing fur, consider this kind of food formula.
Research shows that the food formula helps older cats manages hairballs by moving them through the GI without blockage.
Besides that, the high fibre dietary help to facilitate healthy digestion and bowel movement.
Also, older cats tend to have a problem with their dental formula and this food formula has taken that into consideration.
Some of the popular ingredients present in the food formula are a chicken meal, brewer’s rice, corn, rice hull, corn gluten meal, pea fibre, wheat gluten, and fish oil among many others.
The most interesting part is that cat food is quite affordable despite being of high quality and beneficial to older kitties.
- Ideal for older cats prone to hairballs
- Has high dietary fibers for healthy digestion
- Quite affordable
- Support dental health
- Has ingredients that can cause food allergies
- Recipe highly dynamic resulting in changes in taste
Cat Food for Older Cats That Vomit Buying Guide
Older cats that tend to vomit need a lot of care and this normally begins with their diet. Proper nutrition and care will add extra years in their lifespan.
Here are some of the things to consider when shopping cat food for older cats that vomit. The factors include:
Low-quality food normally contains low-quality ingredients like fillers, artificial flavours, and preservatives that tend to ruin the well-being of the cat.
Always consider cat foods that contain high quality and nutritional ingredients for your furry friend. This will help reduce any chances of stomach upset and vomiting from occurring.
Type of Cat Food
Cat food is either dry or wet and your feline friend may find either of them palatable in most cases.
Some cats may find one of them to be simple and easy to digest. You need to monitor your feline after feeding one each type and choose the best fit.
Foods that are difficult to digest tend to make many felines to throw up as a way of relieving themselves.
Check the labels on the food package to confirm if the food brand is tested and approved by the FDA and other relevant boards.
Food poisoning is something that also triggers cat vomiting and even death. Checking will help to reduce the chances of the two things from occurring.
High Fiber Foods
Cats that feed on low fibre foods tend to experience diarrhoea and vomiting occasionally. This is something quite common to many indoor cats since many parents care less about them.
The best thing to consider is buying high-quality food brands with adequate fibres so that it can help to limit diarrhoea and vomiting.
Felines are quite sensitive in general and you need to keep this in mind anytime you’re buying them food.
Consider foods that are suitable for sensitive cats by reading the information found on the storage package. This will minimize the chances of stomach upset and vomiting in your furballs.
Is It Normal For Cats To Vomit?
Many kitty owners are familiar with cat throwing up. Cat vomiting can either be occasional or chronic.
Occasional vomiting occurs once or twice after a while and this should not make you raise concern since it is quite normal for cats to experience occasional vomiting.
On the other hand, if you’ve got a feline that experiences frequent and excessive vomiting then you should get worried. It is an indication of a serious health problem that needs an address.
Excessive cat vomiting could be triggered by several reasons but it is worth to consult your vet for confirmation.
Frequently Asked Questions about Cat Vomiting
Here are some of the most asked questions about cat vomiting:
Is It Normal For Cats To Vomit?
Occasional cat vomiting is normal and this usually happens once or twice in while. However, frequent and excessive cat vomiting is not normal. This indicates there is a problem somewhere that needs medical attention.
Should I Be Worried If My Cat Vomits?
Monitor your feline friend after vomiting and if she looks tired as well as loss appetite then consider consulting your vet.
Other symptoms that can make you more worried are diarrhoea, blood vomiting and an increase in body temperature.
However, occasional cat vomiting is quite normal to all cats regardless of their age and breed. This should not make you worried since it occurs once or twice in a while.
Should I Feed My Cat After Vomiting?
It is advisable never to feed a cat after vomiting until twelve hours elapses. You will be required to offer them a spoonful broth of skinned chicken or white fish.
If the cat is able to withstand this then give them more after every two hours to regain energy lost through vomiting. Maintain the diet for a couple of days.
Why My Cat Is Vomiting A Yellow Liquid?
If your cat is throwing up yellow substance could be due to hairballs, kidney disease, liver infection, and endocrine issues. If this happens frequently then seek immediate medical help from a professional vet.
Do Cats Vomit When Stressed?
Both healthy and sick cats tend to throw up occasionally. If the furball is acting sick could be due to stress brought about by changes in the environment.
Therefore, you’ll later notice them vomiting and leaving their wastes outside the litter box. But stress never triggers vomiting in cats rather separation anxiety.
Final Thoughts about Older Cats Vomiting
All the foods listed in the guide are suitable for older cats that vomit. They are proven to help in resolving the issues in the senior cats.
Therefore, stay away from diets and cat food brands that contain ingredients that trigger cats to vomit.
We recommend you seek veterinarian advice about the best cat food for older cats that vomit. This will save your senior feline from a hell of problems like vomiting and diarrhoea.