Either one or three of these situations happened to you when buying the best cat bed for older cats:
- Your senior cat hates the new bed.
- The bed fails to live up to your expectations.
- You’re afraid to make the same mistake.
We get the feeling.
A snug bed is an essential requirement for senior cats. It helps them relax while alleviating pressure on their old bones.
Unlike kittens and younger cats, the bones of older cats, especially the hip and spine, tend to stick out more.
So if your senior fluffy friend sleeps on an uncomfortable bed or, worse, a hard surface, the protruding bones can become prone to pressure sores.
And we don’t want that. So that’s where the best cat bed for older cats comes into the picture. Not to forget, cats are adorable creatures that thrive in comfort and luxury.
Today, we want to share with you the list of things to consider before buying the best pet beds for cats whether kittens or senior.
Most importantly, reveal our top pick that resonates with senior and older cats. Stay tuned for more insight on the best cat beds for older cats.
What To Look For When Buying A Cat Bed For Older Cats?
As mentioned, cats, especially senior felines, spend a lot of time relaxing. Therefore, it’s essential to choose a well-cushioned bed with additional layers. Still, there is more to just comfort.
A bed is a pet accessory serving many purposes in your cat’s life. The right thing you can do is make sure you have the best cat bed for older cats.
Well, let’s look at the things you need to pay attention to when shopping for the best cat bed for older cats. They include:
Getting the Right Size Cat Bed
Senior cats are fully grown thus there is no room for further growth. Getting the actual size bed will do them a favour in terms of comfort.
Be sure to measure the weight and size of your feline friend before heading to shop for their bed. Bear in mind some cats prefer sleeping curled up or stretched out.
Therefore make sure you have the exact measurements when your cat is stretched out. This will help in getting the correct size.
The bed should be spacious enough for your cat to move around. Still, it shouldn’t be highly cavernous until it’s not cozy.
Old cats tend to find it hard to reach the litter box. They end up messing with their beds and this later makes it uncomfortable for them.
Getting the best cat bed for older cats that have removable covers will make it easier to wash. This will help to maintain a high hygiene level. Also, a cat bed with a waterproof base will be advantageous.
Regular cleaning of your cat’s beddings reduces the spread of bacteria and unpleasant odors.
This should be your utmost priority when choosing the best cat bed for senior felines. As mentioned, Older cats normally experience bone and joint conditions.
Getting a cosy comfort sleeping point will help to relieve the pain associated with the condition. In addition, beds with firm and malleable cushions go a long way in ensuring senior cats don’t experience joint pains or morning stiffness.
If the sleeping point is uncomfortable, your feline friend will look for a more comfortable place for sleeping. They might even hate the new bed meant for them.
Cat Bed Features
Senior cats suffer from arthritis and getting a bed with thick padding or memory foam will be of great help.
You can also opt for heated cat beds to keep your feline friend warm during winter. Besides that, heat is quite beneficial to furballs that suffer from arthritis.
Cat Bed’s Placement
Many cat owners have homes with different décor. When buying the cat bed for senior cats, make sure it matches with décor from where it will be placed.
Also, choose colours that meet your tastes and preferences. Getting the right colours is always crucial for aesthetic value.
Top 7 Rated Best Cat Bed for Older Cats
Here is the real deal:
1. MEOWFIA Premium Felt Cat Bed Cave
- MADE WITH LOVE: Handmade Premium Cat Cave from 100% Merino Wool. Perfect Gift for beloved cats and cat lovers
- MODERN DESIGN: Warm, cozy and durable cat bed for your lovely cat and special touch to home decor. Perfect for cats to play, nap, rest, relax and sleep inside or on top
- ECO FRIENDLY: Completely free from harsh chemicals and synthetics. Great for your cat, your family and our world
MEOWFIA cat cave bed is not a typical ordinary bed. It is a designer cave made with New Zealand Merino wool to provide cosy comfort to the feline.
The modern design will not only be perfect for your cat’s activities but also adds a unique and classic touch to your home decor.
Whether you want the bed to match your kitty’s coat or your home decor, there are a variety of colors to choose from
The most wonderful thing about the bed fabric is that they are washable with hands and little water.
This helps to uphold the hygienic standard of raising healthy pets at home. The breathable fabric makes this bed ideal for use during all seasons.
If you have a feline friend with allergies, skin issues and cleanliness problem then consider this bed. The material behind the design is hypoallergenic and antibacterial.
Not to mention, the materials are free from harsh chemicals and synthetics.
Besides that, the cave bed is quite spacious and it can accommodate even large-breed cats. Also, adequate space creates room for snuggling and curling up.
MEOWFIA Premium Felt Cat Bed Cave is ideal for cats weighing up to 20 pounds ( 9 kgs ).
Did I also forget to mention that it has a multifunctional usage? The bed can easily be flattened into a round mat or any position that you may prefer. This is the best and our top pick bed for senior cats available.
- Made from high-quality material
- Highly washable fabric
- Ideal for large size or multiple cats
- Has a multifunctional uses
- Relatively expensive
- Difficult to flip over
- Some cats hate the cave
2. Hachikitty Washable Cat Warming Bed
- MACHINE WASHABLE CAT BED: THE IMPROVED ONE! According to customer's feedback, the cat bed has been improved, there is no removable cover and you needn't to assemble the cat bed anymore. That means the three pieces design is gone and the cat bed will not have zips, too. NO ZIPPERS ISSUE&NO ASSEMBLY ISSUE. This washable cat cushion bed is made of 300D waterproof oxford fabric and fluffy faux fur, easy to machine wash and hold up well after wash
- CAT SNUGGLE BED&NICE HEAD SUPPORT: Wipping the fur off easily. Designing for cats/dogs who love to curl up. Exactly suitable for your cat's body to be snuggled up while his/her head is resting on something. Well made for a small to large size dog, puppy or cat. (18in for small cat, 24in for medium or large cat) The side of the cat bed is designed like a raised thick pillow to SUPPORT PET’S HEAD AND NECK. That will help your friends sleep well, too
- HYPOALLERGENIC MATERIAL CAT CUSHION BED: We provide TWO SIZES for you to choose from! A good indoor cat bed for small, medium, big cats is soft trim on the inside, squishy and firm. Meanwhile, it should be well constructed and improve pet’s sleep quality, let them snuggle down between the base and the wall stays warm. So, the material used in this cat bed is important. The hypoallergenic material and RAISED-SIDE bagel cat bed will be great for our furry friends
- NON-SLIP INDOOR CAT BEDS&USE TIPS: The bottom of the cat bed is made of high quality rubber patch, non-slip. The cat bed comes to you in an air tight bag so the box was not that big. The cat bed may have some wrinkles when you receive it, you just need to flap it to reduce the wrinkles and help it mantain a better shape. This washable cat cushion bed can be properly put in the sun and flap to remove dust inside the bed, also to help the polyester rebound and fluffy, nice place to settle in
- BEST CHOICE for INDOOR CATS: We tried to think about every detail to make the cat bed better. All for better pet life! NOTICE : We've been getting customer feedback recently, the choice of the cat bed's size can be confusing, we hope the following information can help you. The 18 inches one is suitable for a small cat under 15lbs. The 24 inches one is suitable for a big cat or two kittens. We'll pleasure if you contact us when you have any problem, we'll reply within 24h
The bed is made from luxurious cosy faux fur inside and water-resistant brown oxford fabric making it quite durable.
What we loved most from the best cat bed for older cats is the raised side design which offers support to the head and neck when your furry friend is resting. Akin to your comfortable cosy bed.
Besides that, the bottom surface of the bed is made with high-quality polyester fitted with rubber patch that prevents the bed from sliding while on the floor.
That’s not all. The bed is easy to maintain and 100% machine washable. This help to provide the hygiene your feline friend deserves.
Lastly, the price is relatively affordable and it comes in different colours to meet the tastes as well as preferences of cat owners around the world.
- Machine washable cat bed
- Adequate space for snuggle
- Has supportive structures for resting head
- Made from hypoallergenic material
- Quite stable on the floor
- Has some plastic zipper prone to splitting
- Low quality bed fabric
- Lumpy and awful stuffing
3. AmazonBasics Padded Pet Bolster Bed
- Plush pet bed for crates, kennels, carriers, and other sleeping areas
- Soft faux sherpa cover with stuffed foam and polyester cushioning
- Bolster rim for pets to rest their heads on
- Attached loop to secure bed to crate
- Dimensions measure 46 x 28 inches
The best cat bed for older cats made with plush stuffed foam and polyester cushion. The soft faux sherpa cover offers maximum comfort for a sleeping furry friend.
The plush pet bed can easily fit in the kennel, carrier, crates and other sleeping areas. This feature makes the cat bed stand out from others in the market right now.
The bolster rim of the pet bed offers head-on rest which is a basic need for ageing felines. The support helps to foster pain relief from the various joint conditions affecting older cats.
Thanks to its attached loop, the bed can easily be secured in a cat crate. This makes it easier for easy transportation while on vacation.
- Can easily be secured to a crate
- Offer maximum comfort to the feline
- Has bolster rim for offering support
- Highly padding for extra cushioning
- Not machine washable
- Not good for shedding cats
4. Best Friends by Sheri Cuddle Cup
- Maximum COMFORT: super-soft and perfect for snuggling, we Overstuff our luxury dog Beds to give the cozy factor an extra boost! The round shape allows animals to curl up while the High-wall design helps create a feeling of safety, promoting more restful sleep, and supporting better health and behavior
- Supportive structure: filled with high-quality Air loft fibers, our cat/ Dog bed offers relief for stiff joints and tired muscles! Its plush rim provides an ideal head rest and its deep crevices are perfect for pets that like to burrow. Featuring our self-warming faux fur fabric, dogs and cats will stay warm on chilly nights.
- Easy to clean: thanks to our stylish color RANGE of high quality fabrics, finding a dog cushion that suits your home is easier than ever! Our beds are machine washable and dryer safe, and because they have dirt and water-resistant bottoms, They help protect floors against potential accidents.
- Pet-safe materials: to ensure the safety of all animals, we make our dog mattresses with pet-safe Micro plush fabric, premium self-warming faux fur and a tough nylon bottom! Flexible, lightweight and of the highest quality, They withstand just about anything pets put them through.
- Shop risk free: at Best Friends by Sheri, we stand behind our pet products and offer a full money back with each order! We suggest the Jumbo size (24x24x10”) for medium dogs and cats up to 35 lbs, and the Standard size (17x17x9”) for small dogs or cats up to 12 lbs.
Ageing felines need a supportive bed. The bed helps to relieve them from the pain associated with joint conditions.
Boasting lots of praises from many cat forums and Facebook groups. Best friend by Sheri cuddle cup bed is the best orthopaedic bed for your ageing feline friend.
Crafted with super-soft and luxury interior design help to offer cosy comfort to your old cat. Besides that, it helps promote longer restful sleep without causing bedsores to your furry friend.
With thousands of cat parents praising the bed online, you can’t afford to make the wrong choice. The bed is fitted with supportive features that offer relief for stiff joints and tired muscles.
The most beautiful thing with this bed is that it is simple and easy to clean. Also, the self-warming material used to design the bed is harmless to your feline friend. This could be a contender for the best bed for senior cats
- Offer maximum comfort
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Made from premium materials
- Have supportive structures
- Not well-padded in the interior
- Bottom not stable
- Price relatively high
5. Petsure Self Warming Beds for Older Cats
- REVERSIBLE DESIGN AND REMOVALBE PILLOW design provides year-round comfort in any type of weather or climate. One side features super soft microfiber fleece. The other side features a smooth, water-resistant oxford that is cooler during warmer weather
- NONSLIP: It features a flat, slip-resistant oxford bottom that helps keep the bed in place on smooth surfaces.
- PERFECT FOR CUDDLING: The Betsure Pet Bed with 9" high wall caters your favorite furry cuddler!
- SIZING: 25"x21"x9" is ideal for Small to Medium dogs/cats of any ages (up to 30lbs)
- MACHINE WASHABLE: We at Betsure know that pets can present some unique cleaning challenges. That's why we've made the reversible bed with removable pillow cushion completely machine washable!
Excellent bed for cats living in cold climates. It has soft microfiber lining and pillowed with a layer of metalized insulation that radiates warmth generated by the cat’s body.
The rounded bed create a room for the cat to curl up and can perfectly fit in the corner of any room. The non-skid backing help to keep the bed stable inside the crate or the floor.
Now to the most exciting part?
The padding of the interior part of the bed helps to provide comfort and eliminate any pressure points. This is an excellent feature for older cats that suffer from arthritis.
The bed is detachable and reversible with one-side waterproof make it to last for a couple of years. This provides an excellent sleeping cushion for your furry friend throughout the year.
- Provide warmth to the furry friend
- The soft and ultra-plush surface offer maximum comfort
- Has adequate space for curling up
- Quite stable on the floor
- Relatively expensive to acquire
6. SEN-KEY Self-Warming Sleeping Bed for Cat
Do you have a feline friend that loves to sleep in a corner at night?
Sen-key self-warming sleeping bed is deal with her.
The unique triangular design of the cat provides a sense of security and it perfectly fit in any corner of the house.
The most wonderful thing is that the bed offer a conforming therapeutic comfort. This feature helps to support better sleep especially for older cats that love to sleep for long hours.
Besides that, this bed is lightweight and portable. You can easily travel from one place to another especially during vacation.
The pet nest is made from premium materials that are non-toxic and harmless to the felines. The high-quality fabric also enhances durability.
Lastly, the bed is machine washable and easy to maintain. We recommend you follow instructions dealing washing carefully.
- Support better sleep for older cats
- Lightweight and portable for travelling
- Made from high-quality material
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Not ideal for large breed senior cats
- Relatively expensive
7. Love’s Cabin Round Donut Cat Cushion Bed
Senior cats love to rest most of the time in a cosy place hence they need a large round cat bed like Love’s Cabin Round Donut Cushion Bed.
We love the versatile design features of this bed. It has a nest-like wall filled with high-loft down which offers a sense of security and cosy comfort.
That means your feline friend will sleep comfortably with the raised rim that offers extra support to the head and neck.
The high-quality fabric makes the bed be durable besides offering maximum comfort and warmth to your feline friend.
The bed is machine washable and easier to maintain. Being a budgeted friendly bed, it serves as a stand-alone and it can be used in a cate crate.
- Offer cozy comfort sleeping point for cats
- Has adequate room for cat to curl up
- Made from premium quality fabric
- Easy to wash and care
- Lightweight and portable for travel
- Stench of cigarettes make some cats to hate it.
- Cleaning instructions not clear
The Number One Reason Why You Need To Get A Bed For Older Cat
Older cats normally have a lot of health challenges when compared to young cats.
If they are poorly taken care of then they are likely to have a short lifespan.
Most of these challenges are associated with bone and joint conditions like bone tumour, hypervitaminosis A, and arthritis. One best way to remedy the challenge is by giving the senior feline proper diet.
The second way is getting them the best type of cat bed. If you have a senior feline friend, getting her the most comfortable bed will help to improve their lifespan.
Do Cats Like Sleeping In Cat Beds?
It is quite difficult to give an exact answer to this question since this depends on so many things.
The shape and size of the bed play a vital role when it comes to the cat sleeping in cat beds.
If you are introducing the furry friend to the cat bed for the first time, you are going to experience a hard time before she adopts.
The warmth and cosy comfort will make some felines to like while others will still hate sleeping in the pet bed.
The best thing to do is train your feline friend on how to use the bed and they will end up liking it in the long run.
Our Choice for The Best Cat Bed for Older Cats
If you find yourself still scratching your head wondering what is the best cat bed for older cats to buy? We feel your pain.
We did our best to review the best pet beds for senior cats. It’s only fair if we told you our verdict of what we know about the best pet beds for older cats.
From our research and testing of these best cat beds for older cats, we find the Petsure Self Warming Cat Beds to be an excellent choice.
From nice interiors, positioning of bolsters, waterproofing and easier cleaning. We are confident it is the best bed for your older furry friend that ticks everything an average pet parent could hope for in a bed.
Check out this video.