What is the Best Canned Cat Food For Constipation? Constipation is something most of us have experienced at some point. You can imagine the discomfort you went through! Cats are no different, your feline friend might at some point constipate if you don’t feed it with the right food.
It can be pretty distressing for cat lovers when your furry pal unexpectedly becomes ill due to an onset of bowel problems. While constipation might be prevalent for felines ( often mild, and you can remedy it with home treatments), sometimes it can indicate severe health issues, and worse, can become very uncomfortable for your cat.
I have experienced one chronic case for my little nephew’s cat, Nala, where they had to visit the vet every couple of days to remove the cat’s stool manually. Poor Nala. It was such a sad ordeal. As you can imagine, constipation in cats should be identified and treated with urgency. Unfortunately, it may result in permanent damage in some cases due to lengthened distension of the colon.
Luckily enough, constipation in cats doesn’t have to result in this or Nala’s case. When it happens, you must be aware of how to treat it and how to prevent the same from happening again. As a starting point, you should be vigilant of what you feed your cat. Most vets recommend dietary modifications for cats suffering from chronic constipation. Still, you can avoid this. If you provide your four-legged friend the right foods, as we have pinpointed in this masterpiece, bowel problems and stomach problems for your cat will be a far-fetched idea.
As a rule of thumb, There are foods you should avoid feeding your cat with to prevent constipation. .
Signs that your cat is constipated
It’s a no-brainer that infrequent and difficult stools to pass is the most common sign of constipation. Felines should poop at least once or twice per day. So, if your cat doesn’t defecate in the said duration, there is a high chance they may be constipated.
It is easy to find out if your indoor kitty is constipated or not. However it is a little complicated for cats who use outdoor bathrooms.
But the following are all the clear hints all pet parents should be on the lookout for.
- Lack of fecal matter in the litter box, you should be checking your kitty’s litter box daily and if you notice no sign of activity there, you should begin to worry!
- They form a hard lump in their belly when constipated. At times they even cry or strain in the litter box.
- If your cat vomits after visiting the litter box, it is a good sign for constipation, take action for treatment without further delay.
- Your cat will lose appetite and combined with either of the above if constipated.
When your cat becomes constipated so often, it may be a sign of a serious issue coming behind the scenes, seek help from the vet as soon as you can. And begin to think along the line of changing your pet’s food.
Best Canned Cat Food For Constipation
Do you think your cat is plugged up? If so, you may want to look for food rich in fiber or fiber supplement to help it pull things through, otherwise leaving them to go through a rough purge without remedies is detrimental
Worst case scenario I hope it never happens is, you might lose your beloved feline friend if the condition prolongs. It can be a daunting task finding the right cat food for constipation but high fiber cat food and supplements can help. They ensure the bowels of your pet move smoothly along.
Most dry foods for cats provide around 3% fiber while wet food sits around 0.3%, so, when looking for the best cat food for constipation, get something higher than the figures stated. They will get the bowels of your cat flowing. Some people will try to sell you food with probiotics or prebiotics which is good for the general health of your cat, but won’t help if constipation is the core issue.
What you need to focus on are foods with high fiber content, whether you choose dry food or wet food. If you have fed with dry food and constipation persists, you may want to consider changing to wet cat food. The high moisture content in wet food might help out in most cases. And it is even much easier to switch from dry food to wet food than wet to dry foods.
Here are the 5 Best Canned Cat Food For Constipation.
1. Hill’s Science Diet Wet Cat Food, Adult, Hairball Control, Cans, 24-pack
A top recommendation from most vets. This adult cat food has natural fibres, a perfect remedy to lessen hairballs. Hill’s Science cat food is delicious and highly nutritious wet food with substantial-quality proteins and natural ingredients for easy digestion and well being of felines. Also, the high-quality proteins support lean muscles and beautiful skin and fur.
2. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe High Protein Grain Free
The wet real meat and flavor as the primary ingredient sum it all. This cat food consists of natural ingredients free from grain, wheat, soy, or any preservatives that may cause constipation. Also, the high-quality ingredients rich in vitamins and minerals are easily digestible for a smooth flow of food through all cat’s digestive tracts. If you want to limit your cat’s vet limits due to irritable bowel movements while keeping them active, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain is an ideal option.
3. Weruva Cats In The Kitchen, Funk In The Trunk With Chicken In Pumpkin Consomme Cat Food,
Yet another scrumptious cat food felines of all ages will enjoy. Weruva wet cat food also consists of natural ingredients and pumpkins, a top recommendation for cats with constipation issues. This cat food is also ideal for cats who appear to have a gloomy skin coat. Weruva wet cat food may offer a complete and balanced diet and a perfect option for cats with constipation issues but might be unfavourable for felines with wheat, corn, and soy allergies.
4. Royal Canin Feline Care Nutrition Digest Sensitive Thin Slices In Gravy Canned Cat Food
5. Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Wet Cat Food Variety Pack, Gravy Lovers Poultry & Beef Feast Collection
Does grain-free cat food cause constipation?
Not really, especially when blended with high fiber cat food and moisture content is observed. Cats are just like humans; constipation is reduced if the moisture content is supplied which helps make food digestible. Grain-free wet cat canned food provides a better option for your cat’s food for constipation with a fresh raw diet and plenty of ingredients that will go a long way to improve the overall health of your cat. And if your cat is picky on matters food, make sure you feed them with tasty and nutritious food. Also, your furry friend is an obligate carnivore and that is something you should keep in mind when shopping for your pet’s food.
High fiber wet food for constipation should form a significant part of your pet’s food, especially if you have all along been feeding your pet with wet food. And if your pet uses dry cat food, ensure a sufficient amount of freshwater supply always. Fiber is essential in your feline diet for a good reason. One of the reasons being constipation. If your cut visits litter box more often, she might be facing serious constipation problems. Another hint to watch out for in your pet is if she seems to be straining or she is making painful yowls, your kitty may be constipated. Fiber-rich food supply provides a short-term solution for constipation, also supply plenty of freshwaters.
Importance of Fiber
When is it fine to feed your kitty with high fiber cat foods? Fiber, carbohydrates that cannot be properly digested are important in the diet of your pet. To compare, as important as proteins. Extra fiber in your cat’s diet increases bulkiness and water in the intestines. This controls the amount of time it takes the food to travel through the system.
As it controls the amount of time it takes food to travel inside the digestive tract system, it keeps bacteria flushed off cleaning down intestines. Cat’s food with insufficient fiber ushers infrequent constipation plus other health concerns. Fiber makes your pet feel satiated after eating and helps regulate the amount of sugar entering into their bloodstream.
The best high fiber cat food for constipation and other health benefits works the same way as it does for humans. But the difference comes in from when will a cat needs some extra fiber in their diet. The fiber then makes cats remain at their optimum health while meat makes them thrive health-wise. Wild cats, for example, depend on prey for their regular meals. These cats will eat the bones, fur, cartilage and other indigestible parts of the prey. When these indigestible items travel through the digestive system they help scrape things out as fiber would.
What to look for in high fiber cat food?
Ferment ability rate is what to look out for in high fiber cat’s food. This is the measure of how the fiber is eaten takes to be broken down by intestinal bacteria. It also depends on how quickly it guides through the digestive track system. Therefore, it is highly recommended to feed your cat with high fiber food. Especially if they have gastrointestinal issues and other health issues.
Hope you found the Best Canned Cat Food For Constipation above!
Best Seller list (Vertical)
- Featuring Cage-Free Boneless Chicken In Pumpkin Consomme With Fish Oil For A Healthy Skin & Coat
- Featuring Sustainably Sourced Ingredients Like Cage-Free Boneless, Skinless White Breast Meat Chicken, Lamb, Or Salmon In A Delicious “Au Jus” All Produced In Human Food Facilities Under The Strictest B.R.C. Global Standards For Foods
- A Complete And Balanced Diet For Adult Maintenance With Added Vitamins, Minerals, And Antioxidants Designed To Support The Health Of Your Cat With Optimal Hydration
- Minimally Processed And Free Of Grain, Gluten, Gmos, Msgs, Carrageenan And Any Other Bad Stuff. That Means No Corn, Soy, Wheat, Or Artificial Colors Or Preservatives!
- Weruva Is A Family Owned Company, Wholly Owned And Operated By Pet Parents David And Stacie Forman
- Hill's Prescription Diet Gastrointestinal Biome Digestive/Fiber Care with Chicken Dry Cat food is specially formulated by Hill’s nutritionists and veterinarians to support your cat’s digestive health.
- Clinically shown to promote regular healthy stool in as little as 24 hours and help reduce risk of recurrence.
- Made with proprietary ActivBiome+ ingredient technology shown to rapidly activate beneficial gut bacteria and support a healthy GI microbiome balance.
- Unique blend of prebiotic fibers to promote regular bowel movements and help balance digestive function.
- High levels of omega-3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA)
- Supports overall colon health
- Enables normal, soft, regular bowel movements in dogs
- Effective without over-purging or runny stools
- Non-irritating and safe for long-term use
- Prepared from organically grown and selectively imported herbs from trusted growers.
- 2.1 Oz. Pouch
- Developed By A Veterinarian, High Fiber Helps Control Hairballs
- Helps To Lower Urine Ph Levels And Control Magnesium For Cats With Feline Uti
- Low Sodium For Cats With Kidney Issues, Low Calorie Make Them A Smart Treat For Overweight Cats
- Crunchy Texture Scrapes Tartar And Plaque As A Dental Treat
- (1) 16 lb. Bag - Purina ONE Hairball, Weight Control, Natural Dry Cat Food, Indoor Advantage
- Real turkey is the #1 ingredient, and each serving contains 38% protein
- Weight control dry cat food helps your cat maintain a healthy weight and minimizes hairballs
- Antioxidant blend helps provide immune support for cats
- Purina ONE is veterinarian recommended